Saturday, January 14, 2012

La Religieuse


I made these!

We began first with equipping the kitchen and talking a lot. This week we started the actual preparation of pastries, following technique, learning gestures, positions, economy of movement, doing things in order. We did several wonderful things with the lovely butter but my absolute favorite was this one. In French, it is called La Religieuse, which means "the Nun". I believe this might be a sign that I must look to the nun within and exercise self-restraint in the coming months as we bake together through the program.

But aren't they beautiful? They're choux pastry with a crackly dough on top to make them puff up nice and round, filled with flavored creme patissiere, topped with flavored fondant, stacked, and graced with flavored buttercream. We prepared all of these here in the kitchen. These were coffee flavor.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous argone said...

Who, "we" ??
Your religieuses are stunning, I love all choux pastries :-)))

5:46 PM, January 14, 2012  
Blogger L Vanel said...

You know, me and my pastry coach. You'll hear more about her.

7:03 PM, January 14, 2012  
Blogger Susan said...

Gorgeous!

8:07 PM, January 14, 2012  
Anonymous GG Mora said...

Must...make...pilgrimage...

2:44 AM, January 15, 2012  
Blogger Boho Farm and Home said...

Just beautiful and impressive too!

5:23 AM, January 15, 2012  
Blogger SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I must say , our nuns at school didn't look like these. These look positively sinful !

3:17 PM, January 15, 2012  
Blogger Sallyanne said...

Ooooh...I want to know how to make this!

11:06 PM, January 16, 2012  
Blogger Laura said...

wow!!!!!!!!!!! YUM! Can you mail me a sample? I'll pay the shipping costs :)

7:30 PM, January 18, 2012  
Anonymous dena said...

It was difficult to NOT lick the screen. YUMMY1

9:35 PM, January 28, 2012  
Blogger Sarah Rose said...

Can I just say how lucky I feel to be able to learn from you directly. This class was AMAZING, and the pastries were phenomenal. I think we laughed pretty much the entire time, such a joy! AAaand, your photos are unbelievably gorgeous! bisous!

12:54 PM, March 16, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home